[Foundation-l] More on Wikimedia strategic planning

philippe philippe.wiki at gmail.com
Fri May 1 21:12:55 UTC 2009

On May 1, 2009, at 3:56 PM, geni wrote:

> 2009/5/1 Stu West <stuwest at gmail.com>:
>> - There are many things we could focus on: usability, quality,
>> outreach in countries without chapters, language issues,
>> technology scalability, performance, data center expansion,
>> access for those with limited/no connectivity,
>> legal/trademark/copyright protections, etc.
>> - We can't do them all at the same time -- even with all our
>> success we have limited money and volunteer energy.
>
> Everything you've listed we already are doing at the same time.
>

> --
> geni

Doing them?  Sure.  But doing them *well*, in an organized,
structured, fully designed method?  I'm not sure we are... we're doing
some of them really well and we're doing some of them ad hoc, and
we're doing some of them kind of half-assed; a strategic plan is a
collective chance for us to step back, take a deep breath, and assess
how to proceed forward.  And, no doubt, the brainstorming sessions
that will come out of this process will identify some areas that Stu
didn't - some of that has already come out on this list.  It would be
a mistake to take Stu's examples and say "well, we're doing all those
things already" without qualifying that with "but there are going to
be other things come up, as well".

Philippe