[Foundation-l] Board statement regarding biographies of living people

Michael Peel email at mikepeel.net
Fri May 1 17:47:24 UTC 2009

 From the Chapters point of view, Berlin is pretty much as central as
you can get (restricting locations to those on the surface of the
planet!). I don't know the distribution of developers, so can't
comment about that. If you look at the board meeting alone, then yes,
it would probably make much more sense to hold it elsewhere - but
combine it with the other meetings, and Berlin is a very sensible
place to hold it.

Voice and video conferencing have come a long way, but are not even
close to meeting in person in terms of time-effectiveness or effect
on relations, especially if the people involved haven't met each
other before. Until meetings can be held in immersive 3D
environments, I doubt things will improve (and even then, meeting
over tea/beer can't happen, which is incredibly useful to get to know
someone).

The locations that you list for board meetings all tally extremely
well with places that other events have happened in - mostly
Wikimanias - and I would assume that the dates are in very good
agreement. It makes a huge amount of sense for board members to go to
those events (whose location isn't determined by the board), and once
they're all together why not hold a board meeting?

Note that within the academic world, far more exotic and far-flung
places are chosen for conferences. In comparison, the WMF is
incredibly restrained!

BTW, I trust that, since you are so in favour of being "green", you
never go on holiday to foreign countries, and avoid making any
unnecessary trips (be it long or short distance)?

Mike Peel