[Foundation-l] Abuse filter

John at Darkstar vacuum at jeb.no
Sat Mar 28 10:40:45 UTC 2009

Thats Finns interpretation of this. Finn and some other users claims
that there are no such things as privacy concerns with the Abuse filter,
and claims they have a general consensus on the use of it. They even
claim that the local authority "Datatilsynet" would not have any opinion
on the matter and that they would refuse to respond on queries about it,
but in fact they did reply. They where very specific on the issue and
said that the use is outside the reach of the law, as the site is in the
states, but if it were implemented on a site in Norway the solution has
to apply to the law "Personopplysningsloven" or it must be strictly used
for "administration of the system". Thats why I said we may _choose_ to
use it anyhow.

Note that Norwegian users would be bound by local law both in Norway and
partly also abroad, in addition to other local law. How this would be in
this case I don't know, but an admin taking actions against a user
because he have information from the AbuseFilter would at least be
questionable.

Note also that some of the users at no.wp has claimed that we should not
relate to Norwegian law, and that Wikipedia should somehow be regarded
as "international territory" or something similar. I'm not quite sure
how they argue for this idea, I simply can't follow the logic on that.

John