[Foundation-l] Divergent Wiktionary logos

Austin Hair adhair at gmail.com
Fri Mar 27 00:30:08 UTC 2009

On Tue, Mar 24, 2009 at 5:20 PM, Cary Bass <cary at wikimedia.org> wrote:
> I understand that there are complaints that new logo has elements too
> closely resembling Scrabble pieces, or are otherwise too cartooned to
> some.  The "new" logo does maintain some visual identity as a project
> logo, while the "classic" logo isn't really a logo at all, and
> diverges wildly from project to project.  Of the top ten Wiktionary
> projects, four of them use the new version, while 6 of them use some
> variation of the classic version:

I agree 100% that there should be a common brand to all Wiktionary projects.

I also understand why the majority of them haven't adopted the proposed logo.

I'm glad that this has been brought to Foundation-l, and
wholeheartedly support a reconsideration of this decision with a
broader audience—after all, a project's logo affects the overall
Wikimedia brand identity, not just those closely involved with that
project.

For my money, by the way, I think we should start over.

Austin