[Foundation-l] Abuse filter

Bence Damokos bdamokos at gmail.com
Wed Mar 25 17:49:50 UTC 2009

On Wed, Mar 25, 2009 at 5:55 PM, Robert Rohde <rarohde at gmail.com> wrote:

> Just so everyone is clear:
>
> 1) The abuse log is public.  Anyone, including completely anonymous
> IPs, can read the log.
>
> 2) The information in the log is either a) already publicly available
> by other means, or b) would have been made public had the edit been
> completed.  So abuse logging doesn't release any new information that
> wouldn't have been available had the edit been completed.  (Some of
> the information it does release, such as User ID number and time of
> email address confirmation, is extremely obscure though.  While
> "public" in the sense that it could be located by the public, some of
> the things in the log would be challenging to find otherwise.)

Is it a wild assumption on the part of an editor, that after he has been
warned for an "abuse" and not pursued it (by forcing a save if the "save"
button is available) to assume that his action was lost, and thus possibly
surprising to see it publicly logged?

In my opinion pressing the preview button and then not saving is a similar
use case as being warned by the abuse filter and not saving -- you should
not expect the lost edit in either case to be publicly available. I think at
the least the abuse warning should make it clear that the action and <*x,y,z
data of the user> * were publicly logged.

Best regards,
Bence Damokos