[Foundation-l] Licensing transition: opposing points of view

Milos Rancic millosh at gmail.com
Sat Mar 21 00:53:53 UTC 2009

On Sat, Mar 21, 2009 at 1:15 AM, Thomas Dalton <thomas.dalton at gmail.com> wrote:
> I think the percentages given as plausible, but do we really have 10
> million contributors? The English Wikipedia apparently has 9,237,657
> registered users, but I believe a very large proportion of them have
> never made an edit, an even larger proportion won't have any edits
> which still exist in articles. I find it very unlikely that there are
> 10 million contributors, even across all Wikimedia projects, that have
> copyrightable contributions. (Of course, I'm ignoring anons - I don't
> see how they can realistically sue for copyright infringement.) So I
> think the expected number of problematic cases is significantly less
> than 1, but it certainly isn't 0.

We'll have. If you start with just 100.000 contributors and raise
percentage to 10% (which may be reasonable too), you'll end with 100
cases.

But, it is reasonable to suppose that Mike's legal predictions are
more relevant than mine :) So, legal part is no issue anymore for me.

The only issue which stays is related to users which declare that they
want to be attributed: Would we allow that? If yes, is there any plan
("yes" is good answer enough) how to deal with making attribution
recommendations useless? If no, is it possible it legally?