[Foundation-l] Licensing transition: opposing points of view

Erik Moeller erik at wikimedia.org
Sat Mar 21 00:52:06 UTC 2009

2009/3/20 Nikola Smolenski <smolensk at eunet.yu>:
>> The fact that they may or may not be logged in is completely
>> irrelevant if the terms and conditions clarify that their username has
>> nothing to do with the option of supplying an Original Author name as
>
> But the terms and conditions do not clarify that, anywhere.

So let's step back for a second. There is a claim that the legal code
of CC-BY-SA cannot be reconciled with the notion of attributing via
URL-linkback only. Do you agree that this claim is false? If the claim
is false, then surely it is possible to create terms and conditions
for a website under which authors contribute under such a model. If it
is possible, then the final question is whether the current proposed
terms for the edit page satisfy those conditions. I contend that they
do, because they are sufficiently clear about the intended
consequences (we don't need to spell out in detail how the terms and
conditions relate to the license, as long as it's possible for them to
relate to the license in a way that is logical and consistent).
--
Erik Möller
Deputy Director, Wikimedia Foundation