[Foundation-l] Proposed revised attribution language

Lars Aronsson lars at aronsson.se
Mon Mar 16 14:09:33 UTC 2009

Thomas Dalton wrote:

> I think you misunderstand what we're discussing here. We're
> talking about what forms of attribution are acceptable for
> people using our content under CC-BY-SA. We're saying that
> attribution by URL is acceptable for people using the content
> under CC-BY-SA.

But who says it's "our" content?  Maybe another wiki wrote
articles about every Ukrainian action hero or all butterfly
species in Zambia, under CC-BY-SA, and we imported articles from
there into Wikipedia.  And then someone mirrors Wikipedia.  Why
should that mirror get away with just crediting Wikipedia's URL
for each article?

And what if this mirror site is another wiki (such as
Wookieepedia) that also creates new content and gets mirrored?
Why should the next mirror not get away with just crediting
Wookieepedia's URL for each article?

Jussi-Ville used the analogy with books (the content) and
libraries (the websites, or what I previously called the space
between the copies [1]).  Mirrors are copying the books. But is
Wikipedia's website (as opposed to its content) really a book, or
is it just another library?

[1] http://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/foundation-l/2009-March/050824.html

--
  Lars Aronsson (lars at aronsson.se)