[Foundation-l] Proposed revised attribution language

Anthony wikimail at inbox.org
Mon Mar 16 13:28:35 UTC 2009

On Sun, Mar 15, 2009 at 11:42 PM, Michael Snow <wikipedia at verizon.net>wrote:

> Anthony wrote:
> > On Sun, Mar 15, 2009 at 8:55 PM, Michael Snow <wikipedia at verizon.net>
> wrote:

> >> Can we please drop the nonsense that a URL is "no attribution at all" in
> >> an offline context? I've made this point before, but URLs do not
> >> suddenly become devoid of meaning just because you're using a medium
> >> where you can't follow a hyperlink. I could just as soon say that print
> >> media aren't acceptable sources for Wikipedia articles because you can't
> >> check them by following a hyperlink, it's the same logic.
> >>
> > It's not the same logic at all.  A reference, by the very definition of
> the
> > term, refers to something outside the work itself.
> >
> In its own way, attribution by definition refers to something outside
> the work itself. Even if you reduce me to the contents of my user page
> on Wikipedia, that page is not an actual part of the Wikipedia articles
> I've helped write, and that holds true regardless of what you think is
> the "right" way to be doing attribution. That's even the case online,
> with hyperlinks and all. I suppose it's "not the same logic at all" in
> the same way that a URL is "no attribution at all" then?

In the context of an encyclopedia or encyclopedia article, what attribution
means seems clear, listing the names or the pseudonyms of the authors.  That
I'm apt to not raise a fuss over a reuser who fails to do this in certain
situations (e.g. where that list is just a click away) does not create a
slippery slope whereby it is OK for any reuser to omit this list of names in
any situation they deem appropriate.