[Foundation-l] Proposed revised attribution language

Jussi-Ville Heiskanen cimonavaro at gmail.com
Sat Mar 14 04:25:18 UTC 2009

Erik Moeller wrote:
> 2009/3/11 Jussi-Ville Heiskanen <cimonavaro at gmail.com>:
>
>> 3. If the intent is to maintain a stipulation that conforming
>> to the license can be done by satisfying a significantly
>> lower threshold than supplying the authors, but since we
>> are doing that "more onerous route", every other sad site
>> should do the same; well I simply disagree, and that
>> phrasing merely reads petulant and doesn't even get the
>> point across.
>>

> I'm not sure we're understanding each other, still.
>
> The point of the provision is to ensure that attribution by link
> always happens by linking to a copy that actually gives authorship
> information. In most cases that will be our website, but the
> attribution requirements should allow for independent mirrors and
> forks.
>
> I've reworded it slightly:
> "b) a hyperlink (where possible) or URL to an alternative, stable
> online copy which is freely accessible, which conforms with the
> license, and which provides credit to the authors in a manner
> equivalent to the credit given on this website"

There is certainly nothing in that reworded phrasing
that could prove to be an active nuisance to us, or for
that matter anyone, beyond perhaps that last dangling
redundant clause making the WMF look a bit amateurish,
which is of course no problem for us, given our history. ;-)

The worst that wording can cause anyone is making some
competent lawyer retch at the work the word "equivalent"
is being made to carry. :-D

Yours,

Jussi-Ville Heiskanen