[Foundation-l] Proposed revised attribution language

Erik Moeller erik at wikimedia.org
Wed Mar 11 20:40:34 UTC 2009

2009/3/10 Sage Ross <ragesoss+wikipedia at gmail.com>:
> This is unclear.  "but must otherwise" can be read to apply only to
> rich media that are 5+ collaborations and for which a reuser chooses
> not to use the above "same fashion" author list.  But I assume
> "attributed in the manner specified by the uploader" ought to apply
> both in the 5+ cases where a "same fashion" list is not used and in
> all cases with rich media made by 4 or fewer people.

I've revised it in:
http://meta.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?title=Licensing_update&oldid=1422126

Essentially, I'm looking for a wording that applies roughly the same
standards to text and multimedia, while recognizing that most
multimedia works we have today are single-author works. The idea is
that if you're talking about a true collaboration between multiple
authors, you could attribute it in the same way in which you would
attribute a Wikipedia article (by linking to the source), whereas if
it's essentially the work of one or very few authors, you have to name
them.
--
Erik Möller
Deputy Director, Wikimedia Foundation