[Foundation-l] Pissed off at en:Wikisource

Birgitte SB birgitte_sb at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 11 16:36:08 UTC 2009

--- On Wed, 3/11/09, John Vandenberg <jayvdb at gmail.com> wrote:

> From: John Vandenberg <jayvdb at gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: [Foundation-l] Pissed off at en:Wikisource
> Date: Wednesday, March 11, 2009, 3:49 AM
> On Wed, Mar 11, 2009 at 7:05 PM,
> Yaroslav M. Blanter <putevod at mccme.ru>
> wrote:
> >> Hello,
> >>
> >> I think this is a communety thing. Its to bad that
> you lost your
> >> adminship but why should people from other
> projects step in?
> >> I mean this is something on the en.source not a
> global thing.
> >> huib
> >>
> >> --
> >
> > I have no idea of the en.ws situation, nor do I want
> to have any idea, but
> > I would like to remark that leaving such things to the
> community decision
> > is a good idea only if the community itself is big
> enough. Otherwise, it
> > is easy for a group of individuals, or even for an
> individual to introduce
> > their own rules which may be incompatible with the
> general purposes of the
> > project. In this case, an external help may be needed.
> For instance, this
> > is what happened a year ago on ru.wb when the only
> admin has been
> > desysopped after it has been discovered and reported
> on this very list
> > that he arbitrarily abused and blocked other users and
> removed edits.
> >
> > Again, I am not really aware of the situation on
> en.ws, I have no idea
> > whether this project is big enough to solve their own
> problems within the
> > project, and I do not want to make any statements
> about any users over
> > there. (As a matter of fact, I never logged in to
> en.ws). I just wanted to
> > say that not every project is capable with solving its
> own problems.
>
> I agree with this.  English Wikisource does not have a
> mediation
> framework, and I didnt participate in that desysop
> discussion as much
> as I should have, due to time constraints.  The next
> step would be a
> meta RFC, or something like an offwiki discussion.  I
> am happy to
> participate in something like that if it would help.
>
> What I will say now is that Eclecticology is a great
> contributor to
> the English Wikisource project, and I hope he continues to
> be.  The
> main project that he has been working on, [[s:Dictionary of
> National
> Biography, 1885-1900]], has been exempt from the structure
> imposed on
> the rest of the project, as a way of reducing the
> tensions.

Sorry but there is no reason to have a RFC on Meta for anything remotely like this situation.  And I would say that if were regarding any wiki (I am sure I have said that for similar situations on other wikis in the past).  The wikis are autonomous on these issues.  If someone has reason why en.WS adminship rules are incompatible with the general purposes of the project, then please share.  Otherwise discuss in the proper forum which is en.WS.

Birgitte SB