[Foundation-l] Proposed revised attribution language

geni geniice at gmail.com
Wed Mar 11 07:59:00 UTC 2009

2009/3/11 Erik Moeller <erik at wikimedia.org>:
> Here's a first crack at revised attribution language. When the
> language is completely finalized, I'll send a separate note explaining
> some of our reasoning for this general approach in more detail. In the
> meantime, I'd appreciate it if you could point out any bugs in this
> specific language, given its intent which should be self-evident. To
> keep the discussion focused, please read it from the perspective of a
> "from scratch" attribution model, i.e., imagine that a new
> encyclopedia wiki that you'd contribute to had these terms. Which
> problems would they cause?

Importing wikipedia content would be an absolute pain and moveing
article titles would result in some interesting legal situations.

>Are there specific third party uses that
> would be significantly hampered by these terms?

Pretty much all french ones. The slightly vague definition of URL
would potentially cause issues if you wished to embed new encyclopedia
wiki content in QR code.

The phrase "otherwise be attributed in the manner specified by the
uploader" is intensely bad because it allows people to specify
attribution via skywriting.

--
geni