[Foundation-l] Proposed revised attribution language

Erik Moeller erik at wikimedia.org
Wed Mar 11 02:41:42 UTC 2009

Here's a first crack at revised attribution language. When the
language is completely finalized, I'll send a separate note explaining
some of our reasoning for this general approach in more detail. In the
meantime, I'd appreciate it if you could point out any bugs in this
specific language, given its intent which should be self-evident. To
keep the discussion focused, please read it from the perspective of a
"from scratch" attribution model, i.e., imagine that a new
encyclopedia wiki that you'd contribute to had these terms. Which
problems would they cause? Are there specific third party uses that
would be significantly hampered by these terms?

Thanks for any constructive feedback,
Erik

Attribution: To re-distribute an article page in any form, provide
credit to the authors either by, at your choice, including a) a link
(URL) to the article or articles you are re-using, b) a link to an
alternative online copy which is freely accessible and conforms with
the license and includes a list a list of all authors, or c) such a
list of all authors. (Any list of authors may be filtered to exclude
very small or irrelevant contributions.) Rich media (images, sound,
video, etc.) that are the result of substantive collaborations between
at least five people can be credited in the same fashion, but must
otherwise be attributed in the manner specified by the uploader. These
attribution requirements apply to content developed and uploaded by
the Wikimedia community. Text and rich media contributions that come
from external sources may attach additional attribution requirements
to the work, which we will strive to indicate clearly to you on the
article or the description page for the file(s) in question.

--
Erik Möller
Deputy Director, Wikimedia Foundation