[Foundation-l] Heads up: Usability test recruiting underway

Naoko Komura nkomura at wikimedia.org
Tue Mar 10 20:01:08 UTC 2009

philippe wrote:

> Is there a restriction on the use of the research?  I mean, is there
> any reason why the eventual outcomes can't be shared with the other
> projects, or is the propogation of that research confined to the
> english 'pedia?  I'm fairly certain I know the answer (knowledge for
> ALL!) but would like to confirm that.
>
> Philippe

Hi, Philippe.

Just so that the audience of the list does not lose context of the
original thread, I would like to reiterate the email thread between
Michael and myself.

Michael's question was as follows;
"Purely out of interest: Was this (implying the use of the usability
research budget) a restriction of the Stanton grant or was it a decision
by the WMF (usability team)?"

And my answer was;
"The restriction is from the Stanton grant."

You are raising a different question with regards to the use of research
results. There is no restriction in the use or sharing the test results
publicly as long as we respect and protect privacy of test participants.
We are video taping the lab test and plan to make it publicly available,
as long as we have consents from the participants.

I hope my answer helps to clear your concerns.

- Naoko

--
Support Free Knowledge:  http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Donate