[Foundation-l] Attribution survey, first results

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Mon Mar 9 23:11:03 UTC 2009

Thomas Dalton wrote:
> 2009/3/4 Anthony:
>
>> What constitutes a significant majority?  What if the survey results had
>> said that a significant majority was happy with their work being released
>> into the public domain.  Would you then find it reasonable to release
>> *everyone's* work into the public domain?
>>
> No, because that wouldn't be legal. I think I've made it quite clear
> that community opinion is only relevant when it comes to legal
> options.

One needs to distinguish between considering an option and implementing
it.  Shutting off a possible solution, on the basis of mere speculation
about its illegality is not characteristic of frank and open discussion.

If the "illegal" option does not otherwise have any support the question
is moot.  If it does have support we move to finding ways to reconcile
the proposal with the legal restrictions.

Ec