[Foundation-l] Attribution survey, first results

geni geniice at gmail.com
Mon Mar 9 17:40:30 UTC 2009

2009/3/9 Mike Linksvayer <ml at creativecommons.org>:
> On Fri, Mar 6, 2009 at 12:46 PM, geni <geniice at gmail.com> wrote:
>> 2009/3/6 Mike Linksvayer <ml at creativecommons.org>:
>>> Yes.
>>>
>>> Mike (not the CC counsel but just spoke to her)
>>
>> And what was the exact wording of the question asked and what was the
>> line of reasoning?
>
> The question was whether attribution by URL works offline as well as on.
>
> It was a very simple question (though she's read this thread) and
> answer, didn't go into reasoning.

No it's a horrifically bad question. "whether attribution by URL works
offline as well as on" isn't even a question. A halfway reasonable way
to ask something similar would be along the line of "In a case where
there can be no Attribution Parties would providing credit via URL be
considered reasonable to the medium or means for offline use?"

And the answer varies between "no", "no one knows" and "it depends".
Heh "it depends" is rather important since I can come up with cases
where it would probably be reasonable to the medium or means to credit
via QR Code but not via a conventional URL.

--
geni