[Foundation-l] Simple English Wikipedia on xkcd

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Sun Mar 8 18:05:14 UTC 2009

Ziko van Dijk wrote:
> For principal reasons, the establishing of "simple" Wikipedias is no longer
> allowed.

Sorry, but I was under the impression that it was for bureaucratic reasons.

> But maybe they could become a Wikimedia project tyipe of their own,
> merged with the idea of a Wikipedia for juniors (Wikijunior). It is common
> that big publishers provide also an encyclopedia for children and young
> people, popular also with beginners in that peticular language.

Whatever the medium, it still takes people to write it.  Hosting a
Simple project does not imply that it's utility is limited to children.
The motivation of second language acquirers differs substantially from
that of children.  They may already be familiar with complex ideas in
their first language, but just lacking the verbal skills to consider
them in the second language.

Ec