[Foundation-l] Attribution survey, first results

Gregory Kohs thekohser at gmail.com
Wed Mar 4 20:32:04 UTC 2009

*phoebe ayers* phoebe.wiki at gmail.com writes:

++++++
I'm not sure there's any way to get a non-self-selected survey about anything
on the projects due to anonymity concerns.
++++++

I'm a 17-year veteran of implementing professional quantitative survey
research.  Self-selection bias is a very complicated study, but there are
some fairly accessible and intuitive techniques one may implement to create
a thoughtful survey of a target population which minimizes self-selection
bias concerns.  This allows the stakeholders to focus on the challenge of
deriving meaning from the response data rather than feeling nausea over the
sampling methodology.

I am willing to give, pro bono, 45 minutes of telephone consulting time to
any Wikimedia Foundation staff member who is attached to this particular
survey project, on the condition that they will be open and attentive to the
possibility that a properly-designed and fairly-executed survey may not
return results that foster their preconceived desires to railroad through a
license migration (which, unfortunately, is my key takeaway from observing
this discussion).

--
Gregory Kohs
Cell: 302.463.1354