[Foundation-l] Attribution survey, first results

Anthony wikimail at inbox.org
Wed Mar 4 18:28:49 UTC 2009

On Wed, Mar 4, 2009 at 1:20 PM, Thomas Dalton <thomas.dalton at gmail.com>wrote:

> 2009/3/4 Anthony <wikimail at inbox.org>:
> > On Wed, Mar 4, 2009 at 1:02 PM, Thomas Dalton <thomas.dalton at gmail.com
> >wrote:
> > I imagine
> >> most Wikimedians are sufficiently mature to accept it if the majority
> >> disagree with them.
> >>

> > Accept what, that the majority disagrees with them?  If that's what you
> > mean, yeah, most Wikimedians are.
>
> Accept that they've lost the argument and move on.

This is more than just an "argument" if it's being used to purport to give
copyright licenses away.  In fact, it's not much of an "argument" at all -
arguments aren't won by voting, unless you're defining the "argument" as
which position more people agree with.

> > (This is assuming only options actually legal
> >> under the license are considered.)
> >>

> > I don't think that caveat has been met, though I'd present a higher one
> > either.  Only ethical options should be considered.  Mere legality isn't
> > sufficient.
>
> How are you going to define "ethical"? It's an entirely subjective
> concept, a vote is pretty much the only way we can handle it.

I define ethical as that which promotes "the good life".  I don't think it's
subjective at all.