[Foundation-l] Attribution survey, first results

Thomas Dalton thomas.dalton at gmail.com
Wed Mar 4 18:22:05 UTC 2009

2009/3/4 Anthony <wikimail at inbox.org>:
> What constitutes a significant majority?  What if the survey results had
> said that a significant majority was happy with their work being released
> into the public domain.  Would you then find it reasonable to release
> *everyone's* work into the public domain?

No, because that wouldn't be legal. I think I've made it quite clear
that community opinion is only relevant when it comes to legal
options.

I'm not a statistician, someone else can work out how large a majority
is needed from a sample size of 570 to be confident (at the 95% level,
say?) that a majority of the population as a whole agrees.

> If we look at just people's first choices (assuming they ranked the
>> options in way compatible with my ordering, first choices are
>> sufficient) then:
>>
>> 12.11% would be happy with no credit
>> 39.48% would be happy with credit to "Wikipedia"
>> 69.66% would be happy with linking to the article
>> 80.89% would be happy with linking to the version history
>>
>> That clearly shows that a significant majority would be happy with
>> attribution-by-URL (you can argue over where the URL should point).
>

> Order of difficulty is not the same as order of happiness.  I would be
> happier with "no credit" than "credit to Wikipedia".

Could you explain your reasons for that?