[Foundation-l] Attribution survey, first results

Anthony wikimail at inbox.org
Wed Mar 4 17:50:41 UTC 2009

On Wed, Mar 4, 2009 at 12:42 PM, Anthony <wikimail at inbox.org> wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 4, 2009 at 12:34 PM, Thomas Dalton <thomas.dalton at gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> The numbers given by Erik at the start of this thread are sufficient
>> to draw the conclusion that a significant majority of the community
>> will be happy with attribution by URL.
>>

> Less than half of people answering the survey ranked attribution by URL
> first.

And yes, 80% of people ranked one of 4 options which I consider unacceptable
first.  But then, 67% of people would have done so even if everyone chose
their answers randomly.

It was a terrible survey, and a terrible summary.  And it was unnecessary to
have a survey in the first place.  It's quite obvious to everyone that "a
significant majority of the community will be happy with attribution by
URL", despite the results of the survey, which doesn't actually show that at
all (the survey doesn't ask anything remotely close to that question).  But
that's also completely irrelevant.