[Foundation-l] Attribution survey, first results

Anthony wikimail at inbox.org
Wed Mar 4 13:53:06 UTC 2009

From: geni <geniice at gmail.com>
What is their line of reasoning on that?

On Wed, Mar 4, 2009 at 12:25 AM, Geoffrey Plourde <geo.plrd at yahoo.com>wrote:

> They wrote the damned thing, so they are most likely to understand it.

Yeah, that's why their line of reasoning is so interesting.

Specifically, I wonder under what circumstances they propose
"attribution-by-URL is a permissible attribution model" (quote by Erik, not
CC).  Is that dependent on the type of content, the terms of service, the
medium of distribution?  Or is it universal, and they believe that
"attribution-by-URL" is per se valid for everything distributed under
CC-BY-*?  Is there any possibility of getting a statement from them
directly, rather than playing telephone game?

It'd also be interesting to hear someone try to reconcile this fact with the
notion that the GFDL is in the same spirit as CC-BY-SA.  I'd also be
interested in hearing from the FSF on this issue.  What do they think the
attribution requirements of CC-BY-SA are, and has this changed since they
released GFDL 1.3?