[Foundation-l] Report a problem link

Anthony wikimail at inbox.org
Tue Mar 3 17:33:37 UTC 2009

On Tue, Mar 3, 2009 at 11:23 AM, Thomas Dalton <thomas.dalton at gmail.com>wrote:

> 2009/3/3 Anthony <wikimail at inbox.org>:
> > Are Wikia's lawyers as paranoid as Mike Godwin, or do they allow staff to
> > get involved in enforcing policy violations?
>
> I think paranoia is a significant part of what lawyers are paid for.

See, it was a neutral term I was using after all!

I expect Wikia's lawyers have given their managers the same advice as
> Mike has given ours, although the respective managements may have
> different ideas about what is and isn't an acceptable risk (that isn't
> generally up to the lawyers).

Really?  You think Wikia's lawyers told Wikia's management that their
"strong belief is that [Wikia] can make *suggestions* to the community about
what content policy should be, but that *it must remain up to the community
whether to adopt such policies and how to enforce them*"?  If so, I'd love
to hear from someone at Wikia about it, as well as why and to what extent
they chose not to follow it.

Or do you think the advice gave to "your managers" is different from that
which he gave in this recent email?