[Foundation-l] Attribution survey, first results

Thomas Dalton thomas.dalton at gmail.com
Tue Mar 3 14:23:06 UTC 2009

2009/3/3 Erik Moeller <erik at wikimedia.org>:
> Hello all,
>
> as some of you may have seen, I've run a small survey over the
> weekend, scattered via a 5% site-notice on the English Wikipedia for
> signed in users. The result is a self-selected sample of authors. I'll
> publish the full anonymous raw data later this week, and I also intend
> to run it on the German Wikipedia to get some comparative data. Please
> note that I'll probably turn off the English version before doing so,
> so if you feel you still want to take the survey yourself, you can do
> so at: http://survey.wikimedia.org/index.php?sid=69514

Excellent. Getting some idea of community opinion is very important.
However, has anyone carried out my suggestion of consulting with the
CC lawyers? They wrote the license, so their interpretation of it is
highly relevant. Community opinion is only relevant within the bounds
of what is acceptable under the license.