[Foundation-l] Request for your input: biographies of living people

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Tue Mar 3 09:13:36 UTC 2009

2009/3/3 Ting Chen <wing.philopp at gmx.de>:

> yes I think the english and the german wikipedias are two models and
> examples that are often used for the other language versions. I remember
> the talk from Harel in Taipei about the Hebrew Wikipedia and had the
> impression that they orient themselves more on the german model.
> Personally I believe that if German is more bigger language it this
> model would be used more often.

I have spoken to a few editors who speak both German and English, and
they say the German Wikipedia is better ... but they actually use the
English one more. Because it covers so much more. So German may be
"better" per an internal ideal, but English is actually more useful in
any practical sense.

(This is of course anecdotal. If anyone wants to compile a list and do
a survey of editors who contribute to both en:wp and de:wp ...)

- d.