[Foundation-l] Request for your input: biographies of living people

Thomas Dalton thomas.dalton at gmail.com
Mon Mar 2 19:01:48 UTC 2009

2009/3/2 Sue Gardner <sgardner at wikimedia.org>:
> There is lots I want to reply to here; this mail is just a start...
>> I've just looked at a BLP and nowhere can I see an guidance on how to
>> complain. I suggest a "Report a problem with this article" link to
>> added to the sidebar of all articles as a mailto link to the
>> appropriate OTRS address.
>

> I agree with this - I think "report a problem" would be a very helpful
> starting point.

I've started work on an extension to provide such a link. Hopefully
I'll have something to show in a few days.

> FWIW I'll tell you that when people complain to me, they often say they
> tried to find a proper avenue for complaints, but couldn't. I realize there
> is a school of thought that "people who can't find the correct avenue for
> complaints don't deserve to have their complaints heard," but that's not my
> view.

That argument only works if there is an obvious complaints avenue that
they've missed. At the moment, there isn't.

> I assume that people are looking for a specific biography complaints
> channel, and probably also looking for assurances that it is
> secure/confidential. (Bearing in mind that inaccuracies or distortions in
> their BLP would feel highly sensitive to most people.)
>
> So - we can create a channel for BLP complaints, and we can label it
> appropriately so people have accurate expectations of confidentiality. But
> in order for it to be successful, I believe we would need a cadre of
> highly-trained and well-supported volunteers who have pledged to investigate
> seriously, communicate tactfully, and maintain appropriate confidentiality.
> Do we think we can we do that, and if so, what would it take?

I'm not sure people will understand the concept of OTRS channels, they
just want some clear instructions on how to complain. I don't think
they care how we organise the complaints once we receive them, as long
as it gets dealt with.