[Foundation-l] "antisocial production"

Milos Rancic millosh at gmail.com
Sat Jun 27 23:55:38 UTC 2009

On Sat, Jun 27, 2009 at 11:57 PM, Eddie Tejeda<eddie at visudo.com> wrote:
> 'Forget altruism. Misanthropy and egotism are the fuel of online social
> production. That's the conclusion suggested by a new study of the character
> traits of the contributors to Wikipedia. A team of Israeli research
> psychologists gave personality tests to 69 Wikipedians and 70
> non-Wikipedians. They discovered that, as New Scientist puts
> it<http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn16349-psychologist-finds-wikipedians-grumpy-and-closedminded.html>,
> Wikipedians are generally "grumpy," "disagreeable," and "closed to new
> ideas."'
> http://www.roughtype.com/archives/2009/06/the_sour_wikipe.php
>
> I wonder how the mailing list will react....

Generally, my experiences are close to that conclusion.

The problem is that even it is a close approximation of Wikipedian
community, Wikipedian community is the best which humanity has.
Scientific communities all over the world are much worse: openness is
low, flexibility is low, vanity is high, scientific sincerity is
low... -- besides the characteristics of Wikipedians, which are, also,
characteristics of scientists. Not to talk about artists,
businesspersons, bankers, politicians...