[Foundation-l] "antisocial production"

Phil Nash pn007a2145 at blueyonder.co.uk
Sat Jun 27 23:27:39 UTC 2009

Marc Riddell wrote:
>> on 6/27/09 6:35 PM, David Moran at fordmadoxfraud at gmail.com wrote:
>>
>>> While not exactly science, having gone to more than one Wikipedia
>>> picnic to break bread with my fellow contributors ... the
>>> conclusions seem pretty accurate to me.
>>>
>>> DM
>>
>> And, until that changes, the Project will grow only in size, but not
>> in depth.
>>
>> Marc Riddell

I wonder how much of that is due to cultural differences, taking the Pokemon
vs Medieval Philosophy difference as one example?
Editors have multifarious interests, and IMO, the worst of them tend to
discount outside interests, particularly when it comes to "popular culture",
as irrelevant. I'd suggest that NPOV suggests that within a historical
perspective, it is not for us now to judge such issues, after all, it's not
as if we are short of disk space for our articles. I'm reminded of
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Two_Cultures but these days, we have many more
than two cultures represented in en:wiki, so diversity should not only be
expected, but encouraged; this, to me, means that editors should
occasionally step outside their comfort zone and see what is going on
elsewhere. Perhaps, since I watchlist about 1600 articles of various types,
I get an overview denied to, or rejected by, others, but then also, perhaps
I have too much time on my hands. Ho hum.