[Foundation-l] Using Wikisource as an Alternative Open Access Repository

John Vandenberg jayvdb at gmail.com
Sat Jun 27 22:14:04 UTC 2009

On Fri, Jun 26, 2009 at 11:08 AM, Samuel Klein<meta.sj at gmail.com> wrote:
> OK.  So let's drop the 'legal scholarship' from the original thread
> and get back on topic.
>
> On Tue, Jun 23, 2009 at 6:33 PM, John Vandenberg<jayvdb at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> off-topic?? ... surely you jest!!
>>
>> I think about _three_ of the 50+ emails in this thread have been on
>> the topic of open access journal articles on Wikisource.
>

> For a different example, Nina Paley recently released her full catalog
> of works, comic art, video short, and feature film, under CC-SA.  This
> seems to me unequivocally interesting to Wikisource.

I've had a quick look, and the primary obstacle will be whether these
works were published in a more traditional sense.  see [[WS:WWI]]

e.g. "Understanding Free Content" would be nice, but was it published elsewhere?

http://questioncopyright.org/understanding_free_content

The song Copying Isn't Theft is likely to be considered published, if
it received air-time or was pressed and sold.

http://questioncopyright.org/rearranging_isnt_theft_either

We dont have many comics yet, but here is what we do have:

http://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Category:Comics

--
John Vandenberg