[Foundation-l] Why "Wikipedia" and not "the Wikipedia"?

Thomas Dalton thomas.dalton at gmail.com
Sat Jun 27 18:58:17 UTC 2009

2009/6/27 Unionhawk <unionhawk.sitemod at gmail.com>:
> "Wikipedia" and "the Foundation" sounds right to me. When in doubt, if it
> sounds right, it probably is. German grammar, I can't help you... Dieser
> Benutzer *hat keine
> Deutschkenntnisse<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:User_de>
> *.

"The Foundation" is an interesting one. I'm never sure if it should
have a capital 'F' or not. The WMF gives it one, so I do too, but it
depends on whether you consider "Foundation" to be an abbreviation of
"Wikimedia Foundation" (so has a capital letter) or if you consider it
just be a regular noun that describes what the WMF is (so has a
lower-case letter).