[Foundation-l] Using Wikisource as an Alternative Open Access Repository

Samuel Klein meta.sj at gmail.com
Fri Jun 26 01:08:34 UTC 2009

OK.  So let's drop the 'legal scholarship' from the original thread
and get back on topic.

On Tue, Jun 23, 2009 at 6:33 PM, John Vandenberg<jayvdb at gmail.com> wrote:

> off-topic?? ... surely you jest!!
>
> I think about _three_ of the 50+ emails in this thread have been on
> the topic of open access journal articles on Wikisource.

For a different example, Nina Paley recently released her full catalog
of works, comic art, video short, and feature film, under CC-SA.  This
seems to me unequivocally interesting to Wikisource.  The media should
also be uploaded to the Archive, but we simply have less control over
classification, organization into galleries, metadata manipulation and
commenting there.  And there is no way to provide translations or
other-lanugage entries or articles alongside the original source
materials.  [the Archive is not that friendly to non-english-readers]

Wikimedia currently doesn't like files as large as a feature film, or
even a high-def short. (how should we address this?  Brion mentioned
something about making video easier to upload in November.)  But is
there any reason not to include other bodies of published sources now
available under free license?  Wikisource is currently the closest
thing available to a unified place to categorize, comment on, and
provide bidirectional links to source text and files of any sort.  It
should in some ways be our largest project, and even our most widely
cited.

SJ