[Foundation-l] Issues about Copyright

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Thu Jun 25 18:33:06 UTC 2009

Jimmy Xu wrote:
> Yeah. We ARE discussing (4) at zhwiki, but it seems to be resolved per
> preceding reply. These laws are confusing, huh~ Thanks a lot.

One point that's important to keep in mind is that copyright does not
protect the information; it protects the way the information is
presented.  The merger principle would have the effect of negating
copyright on the way an idea is expressed if that idea can be expressed
in no other way.  An interesting point about (4) is that it refers to
"current issues"; how long does a piece of news remain current?  The
need for the author to have specifically forbidden re-use poses
interesting problems.  This is comparable to former US laws around
registration and notice that the US had to repeal in order to come into
line with treaty obligations.

Ec