[Foundation-l] Issues about Copyright

Andre Engels andreengels at gmail.com
Thu Jun 25 08:12:40 UTC 2009

On Thu, Jun 25, 2009 at 5:38 AM, Jimmy Xu<xu.jimmy.wrk at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello all,
>  These days at the Village Pump of zhwiki, many wikipedians are
> arguing about whether Wikimedia project should apply to the US
> Copyright Law that is where the servers were placed, or the local
> ones, for us, that is the P.R. of China Copyright Law. These thread
> came from a disagreement of fair-use text of news in article, so I'm
> willing to find some (kind of) official resolution. Thanks a lot.

It will have to comply with US copyright law because of the location
of the servers, however, it would be good to have a policy to adhere
to local (in your case I would say Republic of China as well as
People's Republic of China) law too. That way, copyright problems are
avoided not only for the foundation, but also for the users (the
people who edit Wikipedia) and the reusers (the people who use
Wikipedia material as is allowed to them by to the GFDL (or SS-BY-SA)
license.

André Engels, andreengels at gmail.com