[Foundation-l] Info/Law blog: Using Wikisource as an Alternative Open Access Repository for Legal Scholarship

Michael Snow wikipedia at verizon.net
Tue Jun 23 18:13:02 UTC 2009

Brian wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 23, 2009 at 11:44 AM, Michael Snow <wikipedia at verizon.net>wrote:
>
>>> The dataset you need to train an OCR system to be as good as theirs is
>>>
>> the
>>
>>> raw images and the plain text. They aren't making it easy to get either
>>>
>> of
>>
>>> those things :( They have presumably improved the software in other ways
>>>
>> as
>>
>>> well..
>>>
>>> WTF GOOG?
>>>
>> Well, when your shorthand uses their stock ticker symbol, your argument
>> has already been coopted.
>>
>> --Michael Snow
>>
> I get the joke but um, I used it on purpose and which one of my arguments
> been "coopted" ??

Coopting is not like rebutting; it does not bite chunks out of specific
pieces, it swallows whole. Symbols are powerful things, perhaps even
more so outside the mathematical logic of argument. They do not serve
only your purposes, even if you use them purposefully. My observations
may be wry, but they are not entirely in jest.

--Michael Snow