[Foundation-l] Info/Law blog: Using Wikisource as an Alternative Open Access Repository for Legal Scholarship

Peter Gervai grinapo at gmail.com
Tue Jun 23 09:26:09 UTC 2009

On Tue, Jun 23, 2009 at 03:15, Platonides<Platonides at gmail.com> wrote:
> Although not trivial, downloading all images is in fact quite easy. You
> can find scripts to do that already made. You can also ask Brion to
> rsync3 them.
> But do you have enough space to dedicate?
> How many wikis do you want to mirror? Just commons is more than 3 TB...

Well disks are cheap nowadays. If it's really just the question of
asking, I may be interested. for example.

The more complex question is the parameters of such usage, meaning
what can I do with the images after I've got them. This is the main
reason behind not publishing them in the first hand: the images itself
aren't suggesting any particular license.

Now that I wrote this, it would be possible (not sure if feasible,
though) to publish CC-BY-SA pictures with author info in the comment
of the image itself. Most image formats support sizeable comment
blocks, and standardised templates make it possible to select media by
license, and get author/copyright info to put into the file.

> That's the reason so few people were interested in the images when the
> image dump was available.

People are interested, generally, but not in mirroring the whole shebang. :-)

grin