[Foundation-l] [Wikitech-l] flagged revisions

Jussi-Ville Heiskanen cimonavaro at gmail.com
Mon Jun 22 02:39:31 UTC 2009

Yaroslav M. Blanter wrote:
>> But on the other end of the spectrum, on projects like the one
>> I am active on (the Finnish Wikipedia)...
>>
>> Disruptive behaviour is not wired into our genes or our
>> culture, but quietly co?perative behaviour has been. Our
>> wikipedia is a paradise in comparison to many. For this
>> reason personally I would consider it a great shame if
>> we were to be granted flagged revs before say 750 000
>> or one million. And even as I say this, I know there are
>> the chance brothers (Fat and Slim) that this devout wish
>> will be observed. I consider it a great problem that
>> solutions for problems larger wikis have are nearly
>> without exception foisted on smaller wikis without much
>> consideration of what their real effect there will be, and
>> are they really ready for it.
>>

> Could you may be motivate your opinion? Are you saying that there are no
> vandals on fi.wp (which I can buy) and that novices on fi.wp first read
> the rules and learn them by heart, and only then start creating articles?

No, that is definitely *not* what I am saying. Admins on the
Finnish wikipedia have on the occasion had to go to the
lengths of blocking whole grammar schools from editing.

What I *am* saying - and I suspect none of my countrymen
would dispute me in this - is that  in  Finland  vandals are
vastly overrun by people of good faith editing and cleaning
after the vandals. So much so  that the vandals effect is
easily negligible. Negligible over the long term, but also negligible
in the moment.

And thus, flaggedrevs would not provide nearly any added
disincentive for vandals, but would add workload for the
good faith editors, and slow down content production.

Yours,

Jussi-Ville Heiskanen