[Foundation-l] Info/Law blog: Using Wikisource as an Alternative Open Access Repository for Legal Scholarship

Anthony wikimail at inbox.org
Sun Jun 21 15:20:24 UTC 2009

On Sun, Jun 21, 2009 at 10:55 AM, Anthony <wikimail at inbox.org> wrote:

> On Sun, Jun 21, 2009 at 10:23 AM, Anthony <wikimail at inbox.org> wrote:
>
>> On Sun, Jun 21, 2009 at 8:35 AM, John Vandenberg <jayvdb at gmail.com>wrote:
>>
>>> I suggest you take a look at a few of the DJVU files provided by
>>> Internet Archive.  Then you can point out real faults that you see.
>>

>> I will.  My apologies for misunderstanding your email.
>>

> Okay, http://www.archive.org/details/catholicencyclo16herbgoog happened to
> be the first book I randomly picked from Google Book Search.  There's no
> text version.
>
> And the text version I find of other editions seems to be much much worse
> than the google OCR results.

http://books.google.com/books?id=TZ0UAAAAYAAJ strike two, not even there.
http://books.google.com/books?id=PYAaAAAAYAAJ strike three
http://www.archive.org/details/happinessessays00hiltgoog finally...let's
compare the OCR:

"Great numbers of thoughtful people are just now much perplexed to know what
to make of the faffs of life, and are looking about them for some reasonable
interpretation of the modern world. They cannot abandon the work of the
world, but they are conscious that they have not learned the art of work."

"Greaf numbers of thoughtful people are just now much perplexed to know what
to make of thefaSls of life^ and are looking about them for some reasonable
interpretation of the modem world. They cannot abandon the work of the
worlds but they are conscious that they have not learned the art of work."
---
"Few people, however, really know how to work, and even in an age when
oftener perhaps than ever before we hear of "work" and "workers" one cannot
observe that the art of work makes much positive progress. On the contrary,
the general inclination seems to be to work as little as possible, or to
work for a short time in order to pass the remainder of one's life in rest."

"Few people, however,  really know how to work, and even in an age when
oftener perhaps than ever before we hear of" work " and " workers " one
cannotobserve that the art of work makes much positive progress. On the
contrary, the general inclination seems to be to work as little as possible,
or to work for a short time in order to pass the remainder of one's life in
rest. "
---
I guess that's acceptable.  The Catholic encyclopedia results were much
worse, though.  Maybe it was a font thing, but I'm not quite interested
enough to bother doing a more in depth study right now.