[Foundation-l] Info/Law blog: Using Wikisource as an Alternative Open Access Repository for Legal Scholarship

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Sun Jun 21 05:40:54 UTC 2009

Geoffrey Plourde wrote:
> A bot or bots calling up massive amounts of data at high speed can have a negative effect on a server. While I doubt the bot we use would have the power to take down a Google server, the speed of the requests and the constant number of requests will definitely be noticeable, possibly leading to unpleasant consequences.

And data accumulation at such a high speed would also be more than could
be properly handled at the Wikisource end as well.  We regularly get
whole works from Internet Archive and other sources, without any such
problems arising.  I would not reasonably expect a greater accumulation
rate from Google.

Ec