[Foundation-l] Info/Law blog: Using Wikisource as an Alternative Open Access Repository for Legal Scholarship

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Sat Jun 20 23:56:34 UTC 2009

Anthony wrote:
> Wow, what's Wikipedia's policy about using a bot to scrape everything?

I don't know about any policy, but I think it should still be
discouraged.  For me this has less to do with predation on other sites
than with our inability to keep up with the volume of data that would be
produced.  Proofreading and wikifying are labour-intensive processes.
It is very easy for the technically minded to bring the scan and OCR of
a 500-page book under our roof, but without the manpower to bring the
added value these processes are scarcely better than data dumps.

Ec