[Foundation-l] Wikimedia Commons: Service project or not?

Yann Forget yann at forget-me.net
Sat Jun 20 22:09:30 UTC 2009

Ilario Valdelli wrote:
> IMHO the role of Commons is not so clear and this discussion confirm
> it to me. We can identify two roles:
>
> * support and passive role for other projects
> * independent and active role to describe and collect media files
>
> We can discuss for long time, but a role is sufficient, two roles are "caos"!!!

[cut]
I think this is completely at the opposite of what Commons should be and
try to be. Hopefully this seems to be a minority view.

There is absolutely no opposition between hosting files for other
Wikimedia projets and being an independent free multimedia repository.
Actually, it is quite the opposite: both are complementary objectives.
If the files are available for Wikimedia, there are also available for
anybody else. And the dynamics created by best files competitions (FP,
QI and VI) bring in documents which would not be there otherwise.

> Ilario

Regards,

Yann
--