[Foundation-l] Info/Law blog: Using Wikisource as an Alternative Open Access Repository for Legal Scholarship

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Sat Jun 20 21:35:52 UTC 2009

Brian wrote:
> That is against the law. It violates Google's ToS.
>
> I'm mostly complaining that Google is being Very Evil. There is nothing we
> can do about it except complain to them. Which I don't know how to do - they
> apparently believe that the plain text versions of their books are akin to
> their intellectual property and are unwilling to give them away.

How is violating Google's ToS against the law?  Sites put all sorts of
meaningless garbage into these documents, and users mostly ignore them.

Of course Google's evil; it's about time that people noticed that.  They
use their deep pockets as a way to bully other sites ... with a smile.
Fortunately the U.S. does not have database protection laws like the
E.U.  Ideally, every PD item they host should also be hosted on an
alternative site, but that's a massive undertaking, ... and they know
it.  Nothing requires them to be nice to the competition, such as by
making it easy to copy their material.

Ec