[Foundation-l] Licensing update roll-out

Thomas Dalton thomas.dalton at gmail.com
Thu Jun 18 18:37:59 UTC 2009

2009/6/18 Brian <Brian.Mingus at colorado.edu>:
> It's more than a concession isn't it? The GFDL has the "or any later
> version" clause. The CC-BY-SA is not a later version of the GFDL. I think we
> have to keep it forever and ever.

Existing content will always be available under the GFDL regardless of
what the WMF does, the WMF has nothing to do with it. We're talking
about new content. Legally, there is nothing requiring new content to
be available under the GFDL, that requirement was introduced by the
FSF as a condition for allowing us to switch.