[Foundation-l] Wikimedia Commons: Service project or not?

Huib Laurens Abigor at forgotten-beauty.com
Tue Jun 16 17:35:10 UTC 2009

effe iets anders schreef:
> Hi Huib,
>
> yes, that seems to be an accurate description of the current situation.
> However, what would you /want/ it to be, and /why/ ? :)
>
> Thanks,
>
> eia
>
> 2009/6/16 Huib Laurens <Abigor at forgotten-beauty.com>

Hello,

I would want it to be a independent project thats optimized for giving
extra service to other projects. I have a few reasons for it,

1> I think when Commons would be only a service project we will get 700+
Wikimedia projects that wants to say a little bit about the policies on
Commons, and that will not be good for Commons nor the other projects.
When we say its a independent project it will mean Commons can make his
own policies.

2> Commons is not ready to be a service project to replace local
uploads, translations aren't good enough and there a not enough
administrators to give enough service to all language projects.

3> If we make Commons a service project we will end up with users
getting blocked because the are blocked on other wiki's. A independent
Commons can be a safe harbour for users blocked from other projects to
make a fresh start. (It happened it the past).

I believe if Commons is a service project we need to change a lot of
things in a short time with a lot of people involved, A independent
Commons still have to deal with the same problems, but the community can
work on it without the need of extra interference.

Huib