[Foundation-l] Wikimedia Commons: Service project or not?

Huib Laurens Abigor at forgotten-beauty.com
Tue Jun 16 16:57:57 UTC 2009

Hello,

I want to start with thanking Effe iets anders, this is the most neutral
email about Commons I have seen this week, and I like the fact that
there is a new angle to work with.

I think Commons is both a service projects and a independent project,
Commons is a free file repository and can be used in all MediaWiki site
from version 1.13 or higher
(source:http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Instant_Commons ), so Commons is
providing a service for more than 10.000 sites
(http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Sites_using_MediaWiki).  Commons is also
a service project for Newspapers, magazines, other sites or things that
needs images under a free license.  I don't think somebody on Commons
would mind if you call it a service project in this context.

All Wikimedia project sites are build in MediaWiki so Commons provides
them the same hosting service as the do for other MediaWiki sites, only
the big difference is that the Foundation own the servers that host
Commons and that the Wikimedia Foundation the only organization is that
can use Commons for hosting non free images.

When we look inside Wikimedia we have Wikipedia, Wikibooks,Wiktionary,
Wikinews, Wikiquote, Wikisource, Wikiversety . Wikisource and Wikimedia
Commons. Those nine projects all have there own scope and can work
independent from the other projects, all the projects have there own
community, policies, rules and content. When the Foundation will stop
the could sell those projects to nine different people and all projects
can keep working, the don't need a other project to keep existing. So
all those project can be seen independently within the Foundation. The
projects that stay over like Wikimania, Incubator or meta can be seen as
projects with the soul purpose to support the nine big projects within
the Foundation, Incubator can not work without other projects, Meta
needs other projects to keep working also. Commons can go on with his
own community, so does Wikipedia or Wikinews ect ect.

So we should see Commons as a inpendend project created for giving
MediaWiki sites a free file repository, but optimized for giving extra
service for Wikimedia projects.

Best regards,

Huib
* <http://www.wikipedia.org>*