[Foundation-l] Reuse policy

Nikola Smolenski smolensk at eunet.yu
Tue Jun 16 15:57:54 UTC 2009

Дана Monday 15 June 2009 21:09:36 Erik Moeller написа:
> 2009/6/15 Nikola Smolenski <smolensk at eunet.yu>:
> > Дана Monday 15 June 2009 20:24:39 Robert Rohde написа:
> >> The terms of use for editors will require that editors accept linking
> >> as sufficient attribution; however, the instructions for re-users will
> >
> > Why do the terms require that, when this is in collision with actual
> > licences?
>
> For reference, I've summarized our position on this point here:
> http://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/foundation-l/2009-March/050953.html
>
> Of course we're not going to re-open this discussion. The revised
> terms will be implemented on all applicable sites in the coming days,
> beginning today.

Please don't view this as trolling, because it is a honest question. The new
notice says that "you hereby agree that such credit is sufficient in any
medium". Mere fact that this statement is there shows that, without
contributors' agreement, such credit would not be sufficient (or else you
wouldn't ask for it, given that you don't ask for agreement on a number of
other details). So, given that there are hundreds of millions of edits prior
to this notice where people haven't given their agreement that this credit is
sufficient, how is this actually going to work?