[Foundation-l] Reuse policy

Nikola Smolenski smolensk at eunet.yu
Mon Jun 15 20:18:29 UTC 2009

Дана Monday 15 June 2009 22:02:09 Brian написа:
> Well, either I am misinterpreting you, or you are misinterpreting the
> CC-BY-SA. This is a great overview:
> http://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/foundation-l/2009-March/050953.html

Actually, I find that overview to be rather poor.

1) It says that "The "attribution by link" option was explicitly made
available to authors in CC-BY-SA 2.0", but it was only made available in
addition to the attributing the author by name, not instead of it. "Authors
also have the option to not supply an author name" but they don't actually
have to excercise that option and most people haven't done so.

2) & 3) says that "As long as authors consent to terms of use requiring
attribution by hyperlink, such attribution is consistent with moral rights.
Such consent has already been given for existing edits", however no such
consent has ever been given. To the contrary, a number of printed copies of
Wikipedia content that have already been made go to great lengths in order to
print lists of authors who wrote the texts in them.