[Foundation-l] Reuse policy

Jiri Hofman hofmanj at aldebaran.cz
Mon Jun 15 19:59:25 UTC 2009

You are misinterpreting me. I do not want the re-users should include the list
of authors. I want we fully accept conditions of CC-BY-SA which guarantees
the work will stay free even when everything else collapses.

No, the work itself is not the only important thing. Also the way how rights
of authors are treated and the fact the work will stay free for ever are
important. There is no way how to separate these three things. If you think
otherwise, you did not understand CC-BY-SA.

By choosing a free license, the WMF accepted that its goal is not just
providing works but also keeping these works free and caring about the
minimal rights of authors.

The fact that the chosen license demands a proper attribution was one of the
major reasons of Wikimedia projects' success. Even when so strange license as
GFDL was chosen.

BTW: This policy will not be acceptable for most of the articles because they
are already created and all their current authors would have to agree with it
which is unlikely. I have to ask: Why this is comming? Will it help to make
things easier? No, it will make things only more complicated.

Jiri