[Foundation-l] [Commons-l] Some reflections about the governance of Commons

Marcus Buck me at marcusbuck.org
Mon Jun 15 14:56:52 UTC 2009

David Gerard schrieb:
> 2009/6/15 Rama Neko <ramaneko at gmail.com>:
>

>> The "service project angle" worries me too. I have noticed that many
>> articles of Wikipedia, the service project that makes it easier to
>> find media in Commons by providing encyclopedic context to our
>> content, utterly lack the proper links to our galleries and
>> categories.
>>        Furthermore, I sometimes have the feeling that contributors of
>> Wikipedia expect us to host all sorts of unacceptable media in return
>> of the service that they provide; while we of course appreciate the
>> service projects, this is a problem, particularly when these files are
>> copyright violations.
>> In the particular case of Pikiwiki, it would of course be very
>> caricatural to say that all their images are copyvios. There are lots
>> of out-of-scope party snapshots, too.
>>

> I'd hope this isn't a summary of the views of other Commons admins.
>
> Anyone else? Or is the Commons admin community this insular and derisive?

That was an inversion, a change of perspective. A rhetorical measure,
that is intended to show how some arguments of the other party feel.
Sometimes this can lead to a catharsis where suddenly the own arguments
seem less general and valid and suddenly you can appreciate and
understand the worries of the other. Sometimes.

Marcus Buck