[Foundation-l] Licensing update: Final steps

Jim Redmond jim at scrubnugget.com
Thu Jun 11 18:53:54 UTC 2009

On Wed, Jun 10, 2009 at 19:26, geni <geniice at gmail.com> wrote:

> The current English wikipedia copyright terms are "You irrevocably
> agree to release your contributions under the GFDL" which clocks in at
> ten words. There are another 13 words of editing guidance.

The current terms are brief, yes, but only because the string "GFDL" in that
sentence links to a footnote.  That footnote (located at the end of
[[MediaWiki:Edittools]]) currently says "GNU Free Documentation License,
Version 1.2 or any later version published by the Free Software Foundation;
with no Invariant Sections, with no Front-Cover Texts, and with no
Back-Cover Texts.", with a link to the full license text.

Given that, it'd be trivial to change that sentence to "You irrevocably
agree to release your contributions under [link]our license[/link]" and
update the footnote accordingly.

--
Jim Redmond
jim at scrubnugget.com